The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: Route question for everyone

Monday, September 28, 2009

Route question for everyone

I don't want to get fully ahead of myself -- still trying to find a way from Oslo all the way up north to Hammerfest (northermost city in the world. . .check). Taking a couple overnight trains tonight to get half way there. I think I can take local buses the rest of the way. But here is my question.

I have always figured I would find a way from there down to Helsinki, Finland, and then from there into Russia at St. Petersburg -- which I do want to hit. After doing a bit of research this morning though, it looks like I could go from Hammerfest to Murmansk, Russia. From there take a 30 hour train down to St. Pete.

Murmansk sounds kinda interesting to me. I think it was the main Soviet port on the Atlantic side during the Cold War, at least in summer. Not sure, but I thought I remember reading about it somewhere.

Should I skip Helsinki? Head back into a cheaper place that is a little more adventurous? Or see another country that I've never seen, Finland, although quickly?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 28, 2009 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Северомо́рск, 25 km north of Му́рманск, is the main base of the Russian Norther fleet. It ic ice-free around the year. You should not attempt visiting the closed city of Северомо́рск unless you'd like to stay on the Republic's expense.

 
At September 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Go, See, Write said...

LOL -- I won't be visiting any military base :)

Was just making the comment that I thought that stuff was in the area. Thanks though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home