The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: Chile and the time zone

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chile and the time zone

OK, crossing over the border from Peru to Chile was the 1st time, I think, that I've ever gone directly south and had the time zone change. Not only did it go forward. . . it went forward by TWO hours.

Its Daylight Savings Time on crack.

Isn't the general concept of time zones that when you move east or west that you adjust the time to compensate? South?

I'm about to go get dinner in Santiago. At 10 p.m. Why? Because I'm not sure there is anyplace to go until 9 p.m. or so. Hell, it didn't get dark until about 9 as it was.

The guidebook says something like, "don't bother to go to the bars until 1 a.m., no one is there before then." Ummmmmm. I'm old. Its official.

And I think Buenos Aires might just be the end of me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 25, 2009 at 2:20 PM , Blogger kittybrunette said...

Hi there,

I'm your cousin Jane! My dad is your dad's little brother, Bill, and he told me about your blog, so I thought I'd check it out and let you know that it's awesome that you are able to do something like this.
I'm in South Bend, IN (home of Notre Dame) and am a writer.

That's about it! Have a great time in Buenos Aires.

-j

 
At February 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
After reading about the bus rides, it's apparent that the time zone shift is a benevolent thing. Your time on the planet is shorter, and the southbound shift reflects both Chile's officaldom, and you risk falling off the end of the earth! Nahhhh .... interesting though!

Ed

 
At February 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Go, See, Write said...

Hola Jane,
Thanks for the encouragement.

You got any leads on a book agent for me? ;)
Or some places to publish any of my stuff on the road?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home