The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: Glimpses of Memory

Monday, August 16, 2010

Glimpses of Memory

Since I started traveling in a much bigger way seven or eight years ago, and even more since I took the round-the-world trip, I have these occasional memory moments about once or twice a week. Just a moment ago, I had another.

I was watching some kid kick a soccer ball on a cobblestone street and thought to myself that I had the exact same moment. Some kids were playing soccer in an alleyway. I took out my camera and started taking pictures. One of the kids, the extrovert, then got the soccer ball and started posing for me. Kicking the ball up the air and throwing his hands up.

I have no idea when or where this happened. It is just a memory, lost in time and space. A good one, but lost nonetheless.

7 Comments:

At August 17, 2010 at 6:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think that's one of the best part of traveling and the experiences we've gained from traveling. The memories stay with us forever and when we least expect it, something reminds us of a time when we were traveling and learning something new about the world, and maybe even ourselves. These "glimpses of memory" is the best souvenir ever!

 
At August 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Excellent starter point for a scene in your memoir. I want to know more! What was that memory like for you? How did your memory compare with what the kids were experiencing?

 
At August 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM , Anonymous Kelsey said...

I get these from time to time as well. Sort of a travel-based deja vu.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Go, See, Write said...

Thanks for ya'lls comments. Alexis, the memory was simply of a kid playing soccer in an alley. Now that I think of it, I have a couple of those memories. There was also a time where I saw two girls playing soccer up against a wall. One was the goalie and the other was trying to kick the ball against the wall in a specific area.

Love the memory snippets.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM , Anonymous Ayngelina said...

I think I may be too focused on food because mine always comes back to great things I ate on the street :)

 
At August 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through Alexis' site. Loved this snippet. I wrote about memories and forgetting and souvenirs too this week too - in a post called "Pebbles, insults, and memories". http://lisamckaywriting.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/pebbles-insults-and-memories/

 
At August 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM , Anonymous Andi said...

I love when this happens!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home