The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: Portrait of Joy

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Portrait of Joy

From New-Old

This was a totally unexpected portrait shot from the week or so I spent in Zanzibar last summer. Mid-morning one day, I decided to take a long walk on the beach. These three kids were playing in the sand.

I don't speak a word of Kiswahili, but I really wanted to take these kids' picture. I made the somewhat universal hand signal asking them if I could take their pictures. They nodded enthusiastically. I reached down into my pocket and turned back around to take their picture and they were.... dancing. Spontaneously.

It was a moment of unbridled joy. Of the over 10,000 photos that I took on my RTW trip -- this one is clearly my favorite.

This post has been entered into the Grantourismo and HomeAway Holiday-Rentals travel blogging competition at Grantouismo Link for the August Competition. And here is Homeaway's website link.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At August 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Jillian said...

Oh gosh...this makes me smile just thinking about it too! But I can totally picture it even though I wasn't there. The children of Africa really are amazing....so beautiful and sooooooo sweet.

 
At August 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Suzy Guese said...

Great photo. You have captured the innocence and fun of being a kid.

 
At August 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Go, See, Write said...

Many thanks folks. Was just a great moment in time for me. Glad the camera captured it.

 
At August 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM , Anonymous Candice said...

Love it!

 
At August 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely ADORE this photo! The colors, the smiles, the teeth! Fantastic!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 4:04 AM , Blogger The Wanderer said...

I love the energy that comes out from the kids :) Marvelous!

 
At August 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous lara dunston said...

I thought I'd acknowledged this one a few days ago, but I think my computer crashed at the time, so apologies - thanks for your entry - love this photo!

Best of luck!

 
At August 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous lara dunston said...

Mike - I also meant to say - because it's a shot of three kids though, the judges may disqualify it, because it won't meet the requirements of "1 portrait of a person", I'm sorry. Perhaps if you cropped it just for the competition?

 
At August 28, 2010 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Go, See, Write said...

I don't think I could crop that picture effectively. I'll just let it roll. Win or lose -- I'm really happy with it. Thanks!

 
At September 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Lara Dunston said...

It is indeed a beautiful picture!

Just letting you know that judging is underway for the August Grantourismo Comp. We should be announcing the winners later today and posting the September contest details as well on the site http://grantourismotravels.com/ Thanks again for your entry and best of luck!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home