The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: Potato Chips Around the World

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Potato Chips Around the World

I don't know about you, but potato chips are my personal crack cocaine. Once I open a bag, I just can't stop until I'm finished. Small, little personal sized bag. . . right on up to the mega-Wal-Mart sized ones. They are bad, bad things.

Back home, I had pretty much eliminated them from my diet. After doing some reading up on some food basics, I had taken out almost all processed foods (and fast food) from my life. I am of the firm belief that both of them are so packed full of chemicals and other stuff that is horrible for you that we are all just slowly killing ourselves with the food we eat.

Try as I might though, I have broken down a few times on the road and bought a bag or two of potato chips, only when getting something to munch on for a long bus or train ride, but since there have been so many of those -- have had a few chips (or apparently 'crisps' as much of the world calls them).

One of the fascinating things on the road is how products that we are used to from back home are slightly different around the world. Potato chips being a good example. Back in the U.S., we've got our regular chips, BBQ flavor, sour cream and onion flavored, and a few others. It is one of the few things in the food area where I have seen more variety outside the U.S. than inside.

Here are a few of the different flavors I've seen on the road:

Nori seaweed, spicy seafood, hot chili squid, supreme sausage pizza, barbecue max, and kimchi hot plate flavor (all in Thailand). Ham flavored (South America). Ketchep flavored (Europe). Mushrooms and sour cream (Russia).

For the fellow travelers out there -- tell me which ones you have seen. And tried. Some of these varieties just sound awful to me. I've tried a few. . . with not good results.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes chips are all you can get when traveling. Usually arriving at a bus stop late the only option is junk food. We've seen Spare Rib (Kenya) , Marsala (India), Thai lime and Sweet chili (Not in Thailand, Malawi), we also had the ham in South America, really meaty and weird, and our all-time favorite Mrs. H. Balls Chutney (Zambia)

 
At November 24, 2009 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prawn, Worchestshire, Steak, Paprika, Ham and Mustard.

D Roberts

 
At November 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM , Anonymous dantes said...

wasabi flavoured chips in Singapore ... sure packs a punch....

 
At December 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM , Anonymous Magnifique said...

Old Bay Crab chips, available, it seems, only in Maryland...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home