The Mobile Lawyer

has been moved to new address

http://www.goseewrite.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

The Mobile Lawyer -- One Lap, No Jetlag: My 3 Best Kept Secrets

Thursday, February 18, 2010

My 3 Best Kept Secrets

I was tagged by the really excellent blogger, Brooke of brookevstheworld, to do a blog about my 3 best travel secrets. Brooke's 3 Travel Secrets Go read her blog -- it is really good.

Here is what I've got to offer:

(1) Kindle (international edition). As those of you that have been reading my blog for some time know. . . I am a huge book addict. This trip has been great for having the time to rededicate myself to reading, having read somewhere around 40 books or so. The Kindle was a new addition, my parents got it for me for Christmas, and I wish I would have had it for the entire trip. Not only would it have far lessened the weight I have been carrying around on my back, since I usually have somewhere between 7-10 books in there, but the reason that is also the top of my list of travel secrets is something I had no idea about until I got it: free internet from almost anywhere in the world. You heard me right. Free internet. Not off wifi connections, which can be few and far between, but off whatever local cell phone reception you can get, which means you can get internet about anywhere. I have no idea how it is free, but this item is a must-bring for any long-term traveler.
(2) Lion’s Head. Cape Town is one of my new favorite big cities from this trip, along with Istanbul and Budapest. One of the iconic things about Cape Town is Table Mountain, which is the backdrop for almost every beautiful picture of this wonderful city, but frankly there is about no good reason to go up to the top of it. The best view of this incredibly attractive town is after the hike up to the top of the other mountain in town, Lion’s Head. It is a wonderful hike up and the 360-degree view from the top, of the harbor, Table Mountain, and the beaches, is not to be missed. Hike up early with some sandwiches, a bottle of wine and your Kindle and enjoy lunch up top.
From Capetown

(3) Cabo Polonia, Uruguay. I wrote a blog about my days at this great little village – for a longer explanation of why I thought it was a great travel secret goto Cabo Polonia. I think it qualifies as a legitimate travel secret, since I haven’t seen it emphasized in too many guidebooks. Basically it is a small beach town with no electricity, though some bars and restaurants have generators. It is cool, fun, and a great place to pass a few days away, when you want to just chill out.

so now I'm going to tag a few great bloggers to do there Top 3 Travel Secrets: Sherry Ott of Ottsworld Ottsworld and Jodi Ettenberg of Legal Nomads Legal Nomads and since I'm doing the RTW trip with no planes, partly for environmental reasons. . . traveling greener

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At February 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM , Anonymous Nomadic Chick said...

One of my best friends visited Africa and adored Cape Town. Now it's on my must-see list. Since I have visied Istanbul, am in total agreement. I want to finish a more well-rounded Turkey trip in the future.

Great tip on the Kindle, had no idea about the internet. Funny, I just got tagged for the 3 travel secrets. Kind of hard since I haven't left yet, but I'll try. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home